Sunday, March 8, 2015

Spring Forward

Well it’s Sunday night, and I really don’t feel much like writing. That I’m attempting to do so is more by compulsion than anything else… but I don’t have a particular topic I want to write about. That’s probably not a great place to start. Anytime I’ve written something I’m actually proud of it was because the essay inside and struggling to get out.

I suppose the easy way out would be to make a link roundup, or perhaps a photo post.

Okanagan High Rim Trail, junction with nameless logging road, looking south.

Spring has sprung here in the Okanagan and it’s a struggle sometimes to stay inside with my computer. That’s why I’m writing at 23:35 rather than at a more sensible hour. This little picture here was taken on a 2 hour hike as I attempted to reach a good viewpoint… just a little too much deadfall to make it in a reasonable time frame.

The spring arrives after a short, mild winter, and it’s an ominous sign. There’s virtually no snowpack. Even at the elevation of the picture, about 1300 metres, only a foot of snow remains in the deepest places and at least two thirds of the ground is entirely bare. The coming summer will be long and hot, fires will rage unchecked in the wild and only through heroic effort will they be kept away from the settlements.

This may turn out to be the hottest year ever recorded. The west coast of North America reflects the global trend in this. Sadly, the only people in a position to slow or mitigate climate change spend all their time on the East coast, which is just about the only place on earth to be unseasonably cold.

What a cruel trick.

No comments: