Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Saint Patrick's Day

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!

I’m not normally one to celebrate the normal holidays. And I’m not normally one to celebrate this holiday in particular. But I’ve never had much quarrel with it… aside from the usual complaints of public drunkenness and grotesque stereotypes, of course.

This year I’m seeing a lot of pushback against Saint Patrick’s day on progressive twitter. Progressive Twitter: Always there to point out the flaws in something. I knew, somewhere back in my head, that Saint Patrick was best known for bringing Christianity to Ireland and for driving the snakes out. Somehow I had never put this together and realized this holiday is celebrating the subjugation of the Irish people and the extirpation of their local species. Yikes.



Today I listen to Irish metal. And I wore green while I ran. And I’ll celebrate in my usual way… picking up drunk folks from the street and trying not to get covered in green vomit. But I think we should all keep in mind the more important truths, that everything you love is terrible and everyone in the past was terrible and nearly everyone nowadays is still terrible.



Get ready for the equinox in a few days, people. Astronomical holidays are the best holidays.

No comments: