Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Daily Devotions

I went out running tonight, around 10PM. A few kilometres down the road I spotted a church sign… no, this blog post won’t be about religion.

The sign said “Daily devotions are better than yearly resolutions.” Now I suspect It had some sort of religious meaning, but it struck a chord with me anyway… you see, I wasn't out for a late run just for the fun of it, or because I really wanted to lose sleep… I went because I run every day. And I run every day because that’s the only way I’ll run at all.

I tend to get a little fixated on things, you see, and all else gets left by the wayside. There are some things I do every day, and some things I do once or twice a month, and not a lot in between. Once something makes it onto the first list I can be assured of it becoming nearly a compulsion.

It’s a long and varied list. Running and calisthenics, yes. But also a bunch of cleaning tasks, and some skills development for work, and several news sources that I devotedly check once a day.

I've still made New Year’s resolutions, contrary to what the sign advised. Some of them I've accomplished and some have fallen to the wayside. The ones that are going well? They’re the ones that I've managed to break down into a simple daily routine.

I suppose this is pretty weird. But I've been doing this for over a year now, and it’s been the most productive year of my life. Time will tell how long I can keep going.

No comments: