Thursday, July 2, 2015

Half Baked

It’s been over a week since I’ve written anything here… I was sick, and it turns out the root cause was a kidney stone. Ouch. It’s been removed and I’m now at home. So today I have all kinds of free time but I’m a little too drugged up to really write anything, so here’s a compendium of half-baked ideas.

I’m a little more than half baked, the ideas might be a little less. It averages out. Hopefully there’s at least more thought put into this than a link roundup.

So what is the deal with airline peanuts hospital food? It’s unbelievable the looks you get when you ask for healthy food… it probably costs five hundred a night to stay there, they can’t spring for a dollar worth of veggies?

On the other hand, the kidney stone was almost certainly caused by too many veggies. Maybe if I’d gone in there with gallstones it would have been a whole different experience.

So I’ve been reading Al-Jazeera for a month or two now. Some stories they cover very well, such as this. But it’s a little creepy how much coverage they dedicate to the Copa America while completely ignoring the Women’s World Cup. Actually a lot creepy.

I’ve discovered why I’m less willing to comment on subjects I know well, and why I’m so eager to talk about that which I know nothing about. It’s not good news.

So Tom Mulcair hasn’t spent his whole life with the exact same opinions he has right now. Shocking. You know, if political decisions were open rather than private and politicians could be recalled rather than getting set terms, it wouldn’t matter whose flag they flew at election time.

Never ever ever ask Dr. Google which soft drinks can cause kidney stones. The answer, apparently, is that all the pops are responsible for all the evil in the world, from cancer to cholera to Communism. I’m surprised they don’t get blamed for climate change… they are, after all, defined by the presence of carbon dioxide. And it would fit the alliteration scheme.

Fake monks soliciting money… what, do they not have the magic monk powers? Or are they distinguished from the real monks by not paying their dues to the Monks Guild?

Vaccines are becoming a partisan issue for the right wing… I don’t imagine this will cut down on any of the “both sides do it” rhetoric when it comes to science denialism, though.

That’s about all I’ve got for now. Maybe tomorrow I’ll be up to doing some writing instead of just snarky one-liners.

No comments: