Saturday, May 30, 2015

Tar Sands, Tar Sands, Fires in the Tar Sands

I was just voluntold for a recurring newsletter writing thing, so I figured this would be a particularly bad day to not write anything. I checked the news, and it turns out, we’re all out of news. Show’s over, folks!

Well, like I said, this would not be a good day to skip. So I went looking elsewhere. BBC World, Al Jazeera English, the Globe and Mail, et cetera. Then I checked the Grauniad, which I used to read regularly until I started running short of time. Perhaps it’s time to add that back in the rotation?

The first page I scrolled to was, naturally, “The Americas”. Why read about scandals in France when I can read about scandals in Brazil?

As luck would have it, there’s amazingly good representation for Canada on the front page. Of the 35 articles covering this entire hemisphere, 11 are about Canada. Compare that to 4 about the US and 5 about Brazil. But that’s where the good news comes to a crashing halt. As it turns out, when Canada makes the international news, it’s not flattering.

Here’s the rundown: MacKay, Ottawa gunman, MacKay, Doctor dies, alleged Nazi war criminal dies, Tar Sands, Tar Sands, Tar Sands, Tar Sands, Wildfires in the Tar Sands, Michael Sam.

That’s a little different focus than we usually get here. But it’s an interesting perspective. And some of it at least is good news. So as we enter the weekend take a few moments to celebrate MacKay quitting, Nazis dying, and Michael Sam getting a CFL job, and be sure to pretend all the horrible things haven’t been happening at all.

No comments: