Sunday, May 3, 2015

Another Shooting

After the Charlie Hebdo shooting in January, I thought perhaps it was finally the year for me to participate in Draw Mohammad Day. Because screw those guys, right? Then came the Chapel Hill shooting in February, which really took the wind out of those sails. I didn’t really want to be associated with the anti-Muslim right wing either.

Now there’s another thing: A shooting at a Mohammad cartoon contest in Dallas. I know, I know, there it doesn’t take much to set off a shooting in Texas. Probably there were three more on that same block today. Both shooters were killed by police, nobody else killed, one security guard injured.

So now the pendulum swings the other way, right? Well, perhaps not. It turns out the event was organized by Pamela Geller, noted racist. Her groups have been labeled as hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center, and her blog’s named after an Ayn Rand book. OK, I’m in no position to judge other people’s blog names, but seriously, Ayn Rand?

It would be so much easier to pick a side here if somebody could manage to not be awful for just a little while.

No comments: